06 July 2012

Edirne and Onwards West!

Bused across the Thracian region of Turkey to pay a farewell visit to the country's best mosques in Edirne. Spent the day oggling with my Antep buddies Wally and Kathleen and their famdamly. (Eski Camii is officially one of the most spectacular man-made spaces I've ever entered. W-O-W, wow. Tough not to be awe-struck.) Unfortch kept our trip to camii touring since the town's other big deal--shirtless, leather pants-wearing, olive oil slicked men wrestling each other--started the next day. Ah, our luck.

Welp, from Edirne I said goodbye to the last of my Antep FBright crew and literally walked across the border into Greece. After short delay at the border during which I kept uncharacteristically cool and convincingly helpless I cruised through without so much as a fine for exiting with an expired residency permit! Personal victory. Happy dance the whole 500 meters of no-man's-land between countries. Just me, a peacock (for real), and sunflower fields at sunset. Ro.man.tic.

Happy July! The adventure begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment