14 July 2012

Kosovo? Okay!

So as I meet more folks on my travels I'm learning more and more about the alleged sketchiness of Albania. Guess it's good I didn't register the underdevelopment, travel warning warrant, and mafia/gypsy mischief while I was actually there(?). I DID begin to suspect something was up when a 13-year-old Kosovoan girl tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to pass my passport up to the driver. I then learned that my furgon mini-bus bound for the capital, Tirana, was about to enter Kosovo. "Well heck, I've never been to Kosovo!" I thought. Since I didn't really want to backtrack through Tirana to get myself to a Montenegrin border city by nightfall, I opted to follow my new preteen gal pal off the bus in Prizren. Since I had no reference info to speak of about Kosovo and couldn't find any Internet, I only stuck around long enough to catch a bus to the capital, Prishtina. (On which I was given free Fanta!! I guess I looked stressed and real sweaty from my backpack-bedecked run to an ATM to withdraw some Kosovo currency which I heard pronounced as "arrow." Turns out they use "Euro" and I had plenty. I'm telling you, not a one Kosovo resource!) Got a bus to Montenegro from Prishtina pretty quickly, so my stay was brief. But turns out I got to the Montenegro coast more quickly by going through Kosovo than I would have if I'd stuck with my what-logically-shouldn't-have-been-but-ended-up-being-roundabout way because, well, apparently that's Albania for ya. So, pretty pics of Kosovoan countryside agriculture from bus windows, a passport stamp, and the email addresses of a nice Czech girl I met in the Prishtina bus station and my 13-year-old bus buddy (who loves Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake just like me).

2 comments:

  1. I love your face in this photo! Happy...but concerned ha ha. Sounds like a great little adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, totally accurate, Courtney! It's like, "13 hours on a bus today? Well, what else was I gonna do?!"

    ReplyDelete