26 October 2011

Fall in Amasya

Spent the weekend visiting pals in Amasya, a gem in the Black Sea region. But, Cassidy, isn't that the other end of the country? Yes, it is, but--and this is a very important but--it is also the apple capital of Turkey! So, totally worth an 11 hour (one-way) bus ride spanning the girth of the country to spend an October weekend, no? Ahhh sort of crazy, but although I'm growing to appreciate Gaziantep for its plentiful fındıklar (nuts), I had to get me some 'o dem apples! You know me.

Time with some really fantastic folks, excellent elmalar (apples), and a taste of autumn kept a delirious smile on face all weekend. Enjoy this chronicle of a perfect fall trip. 

(Bazaar photos I'd never have the gall to take in GAntep, but, uh bitch pulheese, this 'aint my town!)






Kale



 Koranic "study" at Büyük Ağa Medresesi.


Madrassa


I hauled myself halfway across Turkey for these colors.


Amasya’s Ottoman street scapes.



Library! A very old one.


River road (plus Alex abi).


Kings’ tombs at night.

2 comments:

  1. love you blog. ok, so now i must go to amasya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glorious! i also love love love your blog. what about that 11 hour bus ride? was it swank with a "stewardess" and stuff? we had some surprisingly lovely long bus rides in turkey.

    ReplyDelete