18 December 2011

Afyon: At the Gates of the Black Opium Fortress

One of my favorite things about Turkey is how little I know about it. Don’t think this effect is from lack of interest or education (but wait, when did I learn about Ottoman or Central Asian history in school...oh right--never) because I’m totally digging novels about Turkish history, reading Turkish news sites, talking to my students about their hometowns, and scouring my Lonely Planet on long bus trips. I’ve got a good handle on the famous Turkey stuff, but I feel like I discover gems with each random trip I get invited on and in each little town where I visit friends. The regional, cultural, political, culinary, urban, and environmental diversity is rich, and I’m loving traveling around and learning SO MUCH about this country. Corndog, I know, but I guess it's kind of why I came here.

This post is about Afyonkarahisar (translated: ‘opium’ ‘black’ ‘fortress’). We went for a Thanksgiving mini-reunion and fell for surprisingly lovely aging Ottoman architecture, ‘typical Turkish’ (ha) charms, and the most striking castle I’ve seen in Turkey (and there have been many) on a tremendous mountain smack dab the middle of town. Really quite a lovely little place. You know, once we got over the coal smog. But whatcha gonna do?


I was super bummed when I saw that this photo of Erik was out of focus. But it's growing on me. Sort of fitting.



"I love you."

Toats Fellowship of the Ring, is it not?



No comments:

Post a Comment