09 December 2011

Good news, everyone! It’s snowing in Gaziantep!

I’ve heard that this only happens once a year. (Which, to be quite honest, is more often than I expected. Yeah... didn’t pack real well for a “plateau” winter.) Well, babybaby! That time is right freakin’ now! Or at least it was. About twenty minutes ago it was snowing big fatty flakes--for at least a solid five minutes. Though short-lived, this baby flurry unleashed my true Utahn. It’s absurd how my mood skyrocketed instantaneously at the sight of snow. And it’s stickin’ around--I’m totally listening to Christmas tunes (real cheesy like--we’re talkin’ Michael Buble style), soaking my freezing feet (wore Chacos on what I thought was gonna be just another rainy day), and having hot chocolate and cookies (even though I just ate). We Utahns are so connected to snow because it both satiates our winter sports lifestyles and fuels our livelihoods. A bad snow year in a ski town not only dampens everyone’s powder-addicted moods but can cripple the economy which just pisses everyone off further. In any case, my relationship with the white stuff (even just a little [of not-drugs]) clearly runs deep when it makes me this giddy even though I was one hundred percent prepared for a no-snow holiday season. Gosh, what good stuff!

Sorry, I know this isn’t very Turkey related. But MAN. Anyways, off to Cappadocia on a midnight thirty bus. Check back for cool geo photos!

1 comment: